Friday, October 17, 2014

Iceland Pt. 1











french toast for lunch at heathrow before flying out of london, the cute facts about iceland that icelandair have all over the planes, the warm and welcoming common room at my hostel and the really friendly, helpful staff, making friends with a girl on my first afternoon and walking up to the perlan building for a view of the city and then heading into town with her and seeing a rainbow at hallgrimskirkja church, hot chocolate and a gigantic, life-changing cookie sandwich from cafe babalu, not needing a map because it’s so easy to find your way around rekyjavik, the beautiful architecture of harpa concert hall, cute, brightly-painted houses and interesting street art all through the city, super delicious, fresh veggie/vegan food from glo, making friends over dinner in the hostel and going to a super weird art show that involved abstract philosophical monologues and some really interesting accordion music, sticking around to chat and realising there were nine people in the room and only one was a local, skyr – a yoghurt-like whey product that i wish i could get back home, water taken from underground rivers fresh out of the tap, going to a beatles themed bar with some friends from the hostel and watching a local band cover neil young, lou reed and the beatles and making friends with locals in another bar, going up the tower of hallgrimskirkja church for a view of reykjavik, watching the parade for iceland’s gay pride celebrations, the great tour operators who fill the long drives with facts about life in iceland, the history of the landscape and snippets of the icelandic sagas, the golden circle including the fantastic geysir, gullfoss waterfall and thingvellir national park where you can see the rift between the american and eurasian tectonic plates.





































21 comments:

  1. Seems unreal, truly majestic; travelling throughout the country over the summer has been my lifelong dream.
    Great photos, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do pick the most beautiful and different places to visit! I've rarely seen any posts of Iceland, and it looks so wonderful there. So happy that you got to visit and even more happy we get to visit these places with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are powerfully, memorably gorgeous. You've highlighted the vibrancy in Iceland's man made and natural landscape superbly. It must be so fun to see a geyser in person! It's too bad they're usually super warm and chalked full of harsh elements, or else it might be a blast (pun intended) to treat them like a water park.

    Part 1 was awesome, thank you! Eagerly looking forward to the second look at this beguiling northern nation.

    ♥ Jessica

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the architecture of that concert hall really is incredible! I'd absolutely love to visit Iceland one day, it seems like such an interesting place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iceland will always be on one of my to-visit check lists. It looks incredible! Such a small country but with so much to offer. The residential streets look so cute with those houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That building is so cool!! All the houses are so picturesque. Iceland has been a place that I've wanted to visit for a long time, so I will vicariously live through your images

    http://dignifiable.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks AMAZING! Both the city and natural side of things. Iceland is definitely on my bucket list. I love an easy-to-navigate city, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iceland is a paradise. I love love love the photos

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOAH what a place! It's like Heaven but very Earth-like still.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved seeing Iceland with such clarity in your photos, just viewing your Iceland photo gallery was almost like a zen meditation, I breathed deeply and sighed, because I live on the same planet as these beautiful places you've visited. I can imagine most locals have beautiful philosophies because how could you not, living permanently in this paradise. I can't wait to travel one day.

    Hope you are well! All the best with your current travels

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ! these are incredible! I really enjoyed your pictures, I should really go there one day! Looking forward seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures as always! Iceland is definitely going on my bucket list :)

    Emily // ahemitsemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my dream trips to do, it looks out of this world :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The landscape in Iceland is so unbelievable. I hope you are doing well my friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how in Iceland the houses are mostly white but some of them have colorful roofs or they are just colorful in general and it just looks so pretty as a whole. I mean look at the photos you took... how incredible!

    http://chamomiledealer.blogspot.com.tr/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never before have I been so keen on travelling to Iceland - the photography in this post is tremendous! :)

    http://aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk/
    instagram.com/aglassofice

    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. My god these pics are stunning! Iceland is definitely high on my 'Go to' list. But it just got up a little more ^^

    x Aurélie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are wonderful, and that architecture is just amazing! Iceland looks completely amazing

    Girl With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bjork is great, I just can't get over the name. Ice-land.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I would love to travel to Iceland one day -
    the nature there is soo impressive.
    I love all the pictures you have taken. :)

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  21. Breathtaking! Love it! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog<3

    Luxveritatis.| Beauty.Fashion.Crafts

    ReplyDelete